No squirrels were harmed in this video y'all! But oh my goodness, this is too funny. Watch this squirrel climb into a model airplane. Of course, the squirrel is already out of the airplane when it takes off (the video was made with pretty believable video editing skills), but the little critter looks like he's having a blast in there!
We're glad the video is fake, but the creator did a fantastic job making it look real. After a much-needed laugh, this video got many people interested in flying airplanes. Flying RC airplanes is a fantastic hobby for kids, men, and women of all ages. Hobbyists love RC airplanes for many reasons. It's an outdoor hobby, they're a lot of fun, you can race them, and of course, it's an upgrade from those paper airplanes you made in grade school.
Maybe you still have dreams of becoming a pilot, but with an RC airplane, you can add some aviation fun into your life with little effort. Here are 10 RC airplanes for beginners that hobbyists swear by. Newbies love these airplanes.
Beginner RC Planes
- Best overall pick for kids
Here's a perfect beginner RC plane. It's only $32 and has a fantastic appearance for a budget-friendly airplane. With lightweight EPP material, your airplane will be able to withstand damage when it falls.
The plane is already assembled and comes with a 2.4Ghz 2CH remote control system and mode 2 left-hand-throttle controller. A customer said, "Great RC aircraft if you want to give flying a try. Easy setup and easy takeoff make this a breeze to fly. It's great for kids and adults or anybody who has been interested in getting into some RC flying."
2. HobbyZone Sport Cub S 2 RC Airplane RTF with SAFE (Includes 6-CH 2.4GHz Transmitter | 150mAh 3.7V Lipo Battery | USB Charger), HBZ44000
- Best pick for families
This airplane has three modes: Beginner, intermediate and experienced. Each control level lets you learn how to fly RC planes at your own pace. It's perfect for any skill level, making it a great pick for families.
It comes with everything you need! A 2.4GHz DSMX radio system, LiPo battery, and a USB charger are included.
3. E-flite RC Airplane P-51D Mustang 1.2m BNF Basic (Transmitter, Battery and Charger not Included) with AS3X and Safe Select, EFL8950
- Best pick for history buffs
This easy-to-fly plane is inspired by history's most celebrated fighter. It is a bit pricey, but it's recommended for history huffs.
Richard gave it five-stars and said, "It was so easy to put together and it flys great, loved the retractable landing gear, so real."
4. Remote Control Airplane,2.4GHz Radio Control Aircraft with Built in Gyro,RC Plane for Kids Boys Adult Beginner (White)
- Best pick for kids under 12
This plane is only $43. It has a built in 6-Axis gyro and is controlled by a 2.4Ghz transmitter.
Don't let the size fool you. It has a powerful engine to make the airplane take off from the ground and hand toss easily. Kids love it. Plus, it has an excellent flight time.
5. E-flite RC Airplane Timber X 1.2m PNP (Transmitter, Receiver, Battery and Charger not Included), EFL3875
- Best pick for teens
First-time flyers of all ages are going to love this plane. If you're new to flying RC planes, you're most likely not interested in making upgrades to your first plane. The power system features a 50-amp ESC plus a motor that delivers a powerful thrust with a 3S LiPo battery.
6. RC Airplanes FPV Wing 660mm Wingspan Glider 2 Channels 2.4Ghz RTF DIY Remote Control Airplane Toy EPP Built-in Gyro by Crazepony
- Best pick for DIY fun
We recommend this airplane to beginners who would like to spend some time building their first airplane. There are detailed instructions for this RTF airplane.
The $60 stable flight airplane comes with a 2.4G 2CH remote control and can go up, down, left, and turn right. Kids will be able to enjoy about 20 minutes of flight time.
7. cobcob RC Airplane, Remote Control Glider RC Quadcopter Aircraft RC Airplane with Safe Technology (4-CH 2.4Ghz Transmitter Included), Easy to Fly for Adults Beginners (Red)
- Best pick for beginners of all ages
This beginner airplane has a flight time of 12 minutes. Thanks to the pusher glider design, the airplane can fly slowly in the sky without power support, which can save more power for a longer flight time.
It comes with everything you need for flying (including the charger). You can have this thing up in the air within 15 minutes!
8. E-flite UMX Ultrix BNF Basic, 342mm, EFLU6450
- Best pick for crash-resistant plane
If you're willing to pay more than $100, consider this option. With a twin brushless motor power and a delta wing design, this plane provides a unique flight experience for smooth sport flying, basic aerobatics, and aggressive 3D flight.
You will need to buy accessories separately.
9. DYNAM RC Trainer Airplane Hawksky V2 1370mm Wingspan-PNP
- Best pick for teens & young adults
DYNAM recommends this plane for ages 14 and up. You will need to set aside time (and money) to assemble the plane and a remote control, battery, and charger. Maxx gave it a five-star rating.
"Excellent first plane, just throw it and fly it. Now I use it for stress relief, toss it up and carve-up the sky then set it in the grass. It will do most maneuvers(doesn't like to roll). Just Too Much Fun."
10. Hangar 9 Carbon Cub 15cc ARF, 90", HAN5065
- Best pick for older adults
Hangar's plane isn't exactly budget-friendly, but it's an awesome shock-absorbing plane that you'll fall in love with. Keith says, "I bought this and my dad is putting it together. The YouTube videos helped but it's a great plane."