Dodge has certainly done a great job building anticipation for the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon. It's been dropping teasers for what seems like forever, and every now and then it lets some details slip.
Now, there's no more teasing, and no more guessing. Immediately before the New York Auto Show, Dodge finally unveiled, after a painfully drawn-out reveal, the SRT Demon.
Here are five coolest things about the most anticipated muscle car of the year:
- The engine power is INSANE. A 6.6-liter supercharged V8 produces -- get this -- 840-hp, and goes 0-60 mph in 2.3 seconds. The Hellcat, by way of example, has a supercharged 6.2-liter V8 and goes 0-60 in 3.1 seconds.
- The Dodge launch control really does make a sound straight from hell. When the Demon pulls up to the lights and engages its launch control, a strange ominous pulsating low pitched grumble is heard. It's revving lower than most launch control systems, thanks to its immense torque, and sounds tame compared to what is about to erupt from the exhaust as the lights turn green.
- Those tires are HUGE, and street legal. The Demon will be sitting on a set of custom 315/40R-18 Nitto drag radials that are sure to help it launch ahead like bolt of lightning. Still street legal, these radials offer 15% more contact with the road than the rubber under the Hellcat. Here's another way to say it:
- It runs on race fuel. Yep, race fuel. The Demon gets a dedicated High Octane mode to take advantage of 100+ octane unleaded race gas, and Dodge believes that will lead to huge changes in elapsed time.
- It can rip through a quarter mile in 9.65 seconds at 140 mph.
And, there are some other goodies:
We can't wait to see one in real life.