Attending your first NASCAR race is one of the most exhilarating experiences you can imagine. It’s one thing to watch the big race on the TV screen, but watching it in person from the grandstands is just a feeling that you can’t beat. There’s plenty of sporting events out there, but NASCAR events are guaranteed to leave you entertained with some wild action-packed racing, especially if it’s your first time.
Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NASCAR fans are not allowed to attend the races anymore at this time, at least not in the same capacity. Eventually, we will get back to normal, so we can cheer on our favorite drivers once again from the side of the race track.
While we wait, it’s a perfect time to go over what you should wear and bring to a NASCAR race. That way, when they open the gates back up, you’ll be totally prepared. Trust me, it’s best to read about this now than to get out there and realize your mistakes after the fact.
What to Wear to a NASCAR Race
- First of all, you’ll want to look at the weather forecast. Normally, you’re in the stands for at least 5-6 hours, so weather can change in that time. If rain is in the forecast, bring a rain coat, because umbrellas block spectators views and are not normally allowed.
- On a sunny day, feel free to wear whatever you’re going to feel comfortable in. You could wear a t-shirt, crop top, tank top, jeans, or shorts. Just remember you’re going to be in the sun for a while and take that into consideration. Additionally, the stands can get hot, so longer pants come in handy to avoid burning your legs.
- As far as shoes, it’s best to wear something that you’re comfortable walking around in, because you’re going to be doing a lot of it. You will also be going up and down bleachers, so some kind of comfortable walking shoes would be ideal.
- Make sure to bring your accessories, such as sunglasses, hats, and a small bag to keep your essentials in. Once you’re sitting in those stands, being able to block out some of the sun is crucial to your comfort during the race.
What to Bring to a NASCAR Race
- Most importantly, be sure to bring lots of snacks and drinks. You can bring a small cooler with you, as long as the size is not bigger than 14x14x14 inches. It’s extremely convenient to have in order to stay hydrated and keep your hunger away.
- Second most important, DO NOT forget sunscreen. If you do, you’re going to be left feeling extremely uncomfortable on the ride home. You’ll be in the sun for multiple hours, so protect yourself and avoid a bad burn.
- It’s smart to bring a seat cushion. Extended periods of time sitting on aluminum stands can get a little rough, so you’ll be glad you brought your soft seat by the end of the race.
- Protect your ears as well by bringing a set of earplugs. If you haven’t experienced these races yet, the cars are extremely loud. It’s part of what makes this racing so great, but believe me when I say earplugs are beneficial.
- If you want to actually be able to see the action up close, bring some kind of binoculars or monoculars. No matter where you end up sitting, you won’t be able to see the drivers, cars, teams, or the infield of the speedway clearly without some.
- You can also bring a radio or scanner in order to really keep a close tab on the race. You can listen to all kinds of conversations going on around the track. It’s best to have a pair of headphones due to the amount of noise during the race.